Austro-Hungarian Marine Library in Pula

Imperial and Royal Marine Library (K. u. K. MarineBibliothek) was founded in 1802 in Venice. In 1848, the Library was first moved to Trieste and then in 1865 to Pula where it remained in operation until 1918. Under the Italian government, part of the library’s collection was taken to Italy; under the German occupation, however, the library’s collection was first moved to the present-day Bohemia and then in 1949 to Vienna.